9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Available Hours Mon.-Fri.
Albuquerque | Santa Fe
Other locations

Child Support

Child Support LawyerDuring a separation or divorce, child support can become a factor in the divorce settlement if a parent has been granted sole custody of the child. It must then be decided whether or not the non-custodial parent must pay child support. Child support contributes to the cost of raising a child for the parent who has sole custody since he or she is totally responsible for the child.

Child support is decided based on the best interests of the child. Courts find a balance between the needs of the child and the needs of the noncustodial parent. After all, the parent must be able to support his or herself adequately, and so child support orders are given realistically based upon the income of the parent.

Collection of Support

Child support payments are supposed to be sent regularly by the noncustodial parent on a predetermined schedule, but it is very common for parents to become delinquent in their support payments or to stop paying them altogether. In this case, the parent with sole custody my locate the parent who has not paid child support and take them to court to make new arrangements. These arrangements can involve garnishing of wages, jail time, and fines. Both federal and state governments are now taking the enforcement of child support orders much more seriously than they did several decades ago. Laws have evolved around the subject of child support to make sure that the child is financially taken care of as well as possible.

There are resources provided to help figure out an estimate of child support owed. Go to the Child Support Calculator to get an estimate.


Justice for Your Child

Roybal-Mack & Cordova, P.C.’s family law attorneys are experienced in both the arrangement and enforcing of child support orders. If you are currently going through a divorce and need to make arrangements for support or if you have missed child support payments from a noncustodial parent, were here for you and your child.